Monday, June 11, 2018

The End of the Story

     Right now I'm in the middle of reading The Remnant trilogy (which I highly recommend). I love good stories, and this is definitely a good story- the kind where I'm anxious to keep reading to find out what's going to happen, but at the same time I don't want to read to fast because I know I'll be sad when it's over.

     I've also been reading through Daniel during my daily Bible study. For me, it's a familiar book, but this time through I've been noticing different themes than I have in the past. Through the stories of Daniel and his friends, Nebuchadnezzar's dreams, and Daniel's visions, there is a repeated emphasis on human kingdoms vs. God's kingdom. Mighty rulers and nations come and go. They may exercise great power for a time, but their rule is temporary, and God is sovereign over their rise and fall. By contrast, "[God's] dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed." (Daniel 7:14b)

     I once knew someone who used to start any book by reading the last chapter first. That's definitely not my preference; I like stories that keep me guessing, but to each their own! I suppose reading that way does have its advantages though. No matter what difficulties the characters may find themselves in (assuming the book ends happily), you can relax. You may not know HOW he'll get the girl... how they'll find their way home... how the bad guy will be defeated... but you know everything will be alright in the end.

     While that may not be my preferred method of book reading, I'm struck by the reality that that's what life is like for us as believers.  Every day the news is full of more crazy headlines. What's going to happen? We just don't know. Our lives are full of global, national, and personal uncertainties that are often the cause of anxiety or fear. But in the midst of all that seems uncertain, God is sovereign. Nothing is outside His control, and we look forward with confidence to the day when His kingdom will be established, and we will be with Him forever. We may not know the middle of the story, but we can face unknowns with courage and hope because we already know the ending!

No comments: