Monday, August 26, 2013

Poem- "With Joy"

"...I will offer in His tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the Lord." - Psalm 27:6b
I remember reading that years ago and being struck by the concept of sacrificing with joy. We may not sacrifice animals anymore, but we are called to be living sacrifices.The Websters 1828 dictionary defines sacrifice as "Offered to God upon an altar; destroyed, surrendered, or suffered to be lost." When we think of sacrifice, it's often with dread, fear, or reluctance, because we know that there is pain involved in laying something down. But here the psalmist is sacrificing with a song in his heart. Why? Because He loves the Lord. Because God has delivered him in his time of need. Because He has learned that there is nothing of greater worth than seeking Him, knowing Him, and being known by Him. I want to sacrifice with shouts of joy. This is something God placed on my heart this morning.

"With Joy"
This path is one of sacrifice,
A road with heavy cost.
We follow our dear Savior,
Who suffered on the cross.

Yet though this path brings sorrow,
It's no pathway of despair.
For as this world is stripped away,
We find our Jesus there.

How can a heart make melody;
Find joy in sacrifice?
By finding what we gain in Him,
The Pearl of greatest price.

A heart in love with Jesus
Can give without a qualm,
For though in pouring out, it aches,
It's filled with His sweet song.

Oh, may I walk this path He's set,
Cost me what it may.
May I place my trust in Him,
And trusting Him, obey.



"You have said, 'Seek My face." My heart says to You, ' Your face, Lord, do I seek.'" - Psalm 27:8

No comments: